Sunday, July 18, 2010

Turning your passion into a career

Anyone who knows me knows that I love lindy hop and other swing dancing. I would dance every day if I could. So now and then, I wonder what it would be like to be an instructor who travels around the world to teach lindy hop. Would I do it? Actually, this boils down to a more basic question: Would I pursue any of my passions as a profession?

Dax Hock posted an interview on that very subject. Check it out; it’s very well thought out.

I found his second point on mistakes to be the best insight of the article. Basically, one must be professional. It sounds very simple and obvious because it is simple and obvious. If you want to turn your passion into a career, you must treat it like a job, not a hobby. This means working hard and pursuing success. As Dax answer later in the interview, “Never stop developing your craft and your business will never die.”

I don’t think I’ll ever be a professional international swing instructor, but I think it’s fascinating to see what takes to get there. It’s good advice either way.

2 comments:

  1. :) I love the title of this post...seeing as Im kinda doing it as we speak!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it, Nelle. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete